Sunday, November 05, 2006

Of Silk and Other Soft Things

There's no rhyme or reason to today's post. I am just taking the opportunity to share with you some nice things from my life...

Miss Phoebe Licious came in to play this morning. She certainly seemed to enjoy hopping around the den,sniffing everything in site, and getting lots of love and attention.


I've been wanting to make daughter a new hat to go with her fall coat. Here's a little something I whipped up last night. It took me about 2 hours and used one ball of Noro Silk Garden. The color is 234, and it incorporates several nice, feminine shades. The hat is so soft since it's been washed. The pattern is one I purchased off of e-bay a couple of years back. The seller is Shelley Mackie out of British Columbia. Here's a link to her website. I'm not sure if she is still selling these patterns. It is called "Six Hats in Noro Yarn" and each pattern is designed to use just one ball of Silk Garden or Kureyon.


Another soft thing in my life is my new Fuzzyfeet. No, I've never been impressed with the pattern or my results in three attempts at using it. Every pair of slippers has seemed quite narrow after felting. However, my new red slippers were so soft and pretty that I have been wearing them the past two days now in spite of taht little pinch. They are gloriously warm, and they've stretched out to fit quite nicely. Given this stretching bit, I'll likely make this pattern again....with some modifications. I'd like a slightly tighter fitting, taller cuff.


I've been drop spindling quite a bit lately but don't have any pictures to share at the moment. I've had an ounce of Tussah silk in my stash for over a year now and have finally worked up the courage to spin it. I'm surprised at how easy it is to spin silk. If I'd only known, I may have stocked up on quite a bit more at SAFF! My next silk project is tackling one of my hankies. Someone pointed out to me some good directions on Knitty for spinning hankies, so I've printed them out to read.

Husband has been experimenting with his spinning techniques recently and is getting fabulous results. I'm not clear on what he's doing--something about twist angle. He has been combining long draw technique along with the twist angle information and is getting some wonderfully soft yarn as a result. I'll try to get some photos of his yarn later.

We made a trip to Knit Together yesterday in search of some Cascade 220 for a couple of purses I want to make. I am planning to make the Little Coco Bag for my brother's girlfriend as a Christmas gift. I made her a felted purse a couple of years ago, and she loves it! I am also going to make myself one of these purses and get husband to help me needle felt something on it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vera said...

I have that pattern from Shelly. It's great, and I've made some of the hat, but not the one that you've made just yet.

Pheobe is so cute.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Cute Hat. I couldn't find any hat patterns on the website. The felted handbag site has some gorgeous handbags.

11:08 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

I wish I'd bought more of the tussah silk too! I'll definitely be buying more; I got 60 yards of two-ply and it's soooo pretty! I think it'd be beautiful blended, as well.

11:47 AM  
Blogger DeltaDawn said...

Pretty bunny, great hat, and I hope my husband will learn how to spin too! The Woolery told me this morning that 3 Lendrums came in Friday - and all three will go right out. Hope one of them is yours!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

love the hat..love the hat...must have the hat =-)

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home