Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Sweater Girl

I've made up my mind that it's time to knit a sweater. I bought enough alpaca yarn last year to make a pullover sweater, but I never got around to it. Now, I've fallen out of love with both the sweater pattern and the yarn. The sweater I want to make is in Stitch 'n Bitch Nation and it's called Fairly Easy Fair Isle. It's knit with Lamb's Pride bulky yarn. I want to do the sweater as pictured in the book--primarily an onyx color with raspberry and lighter pink patterning in the yoke. Husband thinks it's an excellent idea and told me to go ahead and order the yarn when I get paid next week. I just love having a fiber fanatic, indulgent husband! The problem here is that I can't find one web site that has all of the colors I need. I guess I'll have to make some phone calls and see if perhaps someone has the yarn in stock and not on their web site.

Did I tell you yesterday that I'm knitting Fuzzyfeet from Knitty magazine? (Honestly, I'm so tired I don't quite know which end is up. It's been a loooong week already and there are still two days of it to go.) I am knitting Fuzzyfeet in a bright blue Nature Spun. I'm on the first slipper and have gotten to the gusset pick ups. The pattern calls for size 10.5 DPNs, and I was feeling too cheap to actually buy this size needles. It's not one I'd use often. Being a frugal and industrious man, husband took on the task of making me a set of needles. He and daughter worked on the needles together, and they are really nice! They used an oak dowel cut into the proper length and sharpened on the ends. They sanded the dowels and polished them. There are still some rough spots on a couple of them, but husband assures me he can fix that for me. I love my hand crafted needles!

Since I'm slacking in the photo department again today, I guess I owe you a recipe. Here is the recipe for the party sandwiches I took to the fiber group meeting on Sunday.

Ham Delights
1 pound boiled ham lunch meat slices
1/2 pound Swiss cheese slices
1/2 pound margarine
3 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 packages party rolls

Mix margarine, mustard, poppy seeds, and Worcestershire sauce together until it is of spreading consistency. Split party rolls in half to form a top and a bottom slice (like a big sandwich bun). Spread margarine mixture on both cut sides of the rolls. Place ham and cheese on the rolls and cover with the top half of the rolls. Return to foil trays out of which party rolls came and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.

I'll comment that I think this recipe calls for too much margarine mixture. My sandwiches were soggier than I would have liked, and I think that's because there was too much grease from the margarine. Next time I make these, I think I'll cut the amount of margarine mixture in half and see how that goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home