Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Deep Thoughts, Very Little Knitting Content

There's a lot on my mind these days. Where do I start? I just read an article in the local paper indicating that there's a nationwide trend toward cremation instead of burial. I decided years ago that I didn't want my dead body put in an expensive box and buried. There is just something so morbid about that. I also think it's a tremendous waste of money and land!

My dad was the first in our family to go "against the grain" and decide on cremation. He passed away 5 1/2 years ago, and I think some of the family were horrified that his body was cremated. We were carrying out his wishes. Daddy's ashes were divided among my mom, brother, and me. I have a tiny urn sitting by my desk. I much prefer this than some burial plot that I feel obligated to visit and take flowers. My dad is in my heart and my thoughts all the time. I don't need a special place to visit to remember him.

When it's my time to go, I'll take a simple cardboard box, please, and scatter my ashes somewhere nice. Our backyard is one of my favorite places, so why not there?

I guess you want knitting content, right? The sock is coming along nicely. Here it is pictured at work:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so agree! My dad was cremated, too...and I think that's what I want. Why take up land? Scatter my ashes somewhere pretty!

2:24 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I agree with you regarding cremation. Much more practical.

Amy

3:30 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

This was a topic of conversation while visiting my grandmother in the hospital in Newberry this past week. She and my grandfather have both decided on cremation (as have my parents and myself). In typical small southern town fashion, too, they've been very specific about which of the two funeral homes in town they want to handle the arrangements. The other one belongs to relatives they're not on good terms with. :-)

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home