Friday, March 10, 2006

This and That

I finished the first of the Regia cotton socks. It's a bit too big, so hopefully a run through a hot washer and dryer will tighten it up a tad. I started the second sock last night and intend to get it done over the weekend.

My next sock project is going to be toe up short socks using Cascade Fixation. I have two balls of a horrible bright yellow variegated in my stash. They should make great summer socks!

I did a little bargain shopping yesterday--found a pair of Birkenstock sandals on clearance for $30! These are the Arizona two strap style. The straps are not leather but some sort of fabric printed in a burgandy, pinkish floraly paisley style. How's that for a description? They feel good on my feet, so 'nuff said, right? Daughter loves them, so we're back out to the store today to see if they have a pair in her size.

I had a most interesting and weird encounter at the shoe store. Some lady--also a customer--decided to lecture me on the style of shoe one should buy to give a slimming effect to the foot. Apparently, she'd been watching one too many episodes of Oprah and heard about this shoe thing on that show. I told her that frankly I don't care how my feet look as long as they feel good in the shoes. She then went on to discuss the local diet center (the one where you eat nothing but protein bars, have weekly B-12 shots, and take vitamins) and why she's afraid of exercise and joining a place like Curves. Did I mention that this entire conversation took place with her whispering so softly I could barely hear her? I was finally able to escape this woman and buy my shoes that make my feet look wide but feel incredible.

Since I mentioned Curves in the paragraph above, I should share with you that I've managed to lose a total of 16.25 inches. That is an additional 10 inches lost in February. I am shocked, because February was a hard month. I was terribly busy with work which meant we had a lot of take out food, and we had three birthdays with cake to contend with. I'm only able to squeeze in three workouts per week, but that's fine. I'm very pleased with my results.

Is anyone watching American Idol? Kevin can thank my dear daughter for his being in the top 12. The kid voted for him 100 times Wednesday night. I can't say that I'm sorry to see Will go. He never did much for me. Gedeon was a surprise, though. I thought he had a good voice, and he seemed like a nice kid. I'd have cut Bucky in a heartbeat. He has managed to butcher just about every song he's sung. My top pick for the guys is Chris.

It was no loss as far as I'm concerned for Kinnik to leave. I liked her, but she just wasn't cutting it with her singing. Ayla annoyed the living daylights out of me last night. There she is balling her eyes out because she got cut from Idol. Has she forgotten that she has that huge college scholarship to play basketball? Get over it and get a grip, girl! If it had been completely up to me, I'd have kept Ayla for another week or so and sent Kellie Pickler home last night. She is so irritating with that fake stupid, innocent country girl routine. Nobody is that dumb and sheltered. I've been to NC, and I know for a fact that they do serve calamari there. My top pick for the girls is Mandisa. She is a fantastic singer and performer. I hope that America will keep that in mind when voting rather than focusing on her weight.

Yesterday was so gorgeous--sunny and warm. Today, the start of the weekend, is dreary and rainy. Why is that? I hope the weather clears so that we can do some things outside this weekend. If not, then I'll just sit and knit, knit, knit.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Sounds like the customer who cornered you needs some ummm... really good medicine or at least a dose of reality. I miss seeing American Idol. We don't subscribe to network TV. It requires a different receiver, so we have not upgraded. I only get to see AI when I am out on the road overnight. Tuesday I will be, so maybe I can play catch up!!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

We've been watching American Idol and it's been interesting, to say the least. I thought Will was a bad Donny Osmond impersonator and was glad to see him go. But, I don't mind Kellie that much. She's probably putting on just a little bit, but you know, I've never had calamari either. I've been places where they served it, but I just haven't eaten any. I don't really want to, to tell you the truth. I mean, it's squid. Eeew.

1:45 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

What a weird woman.

Congrats on the inches! You are the incredible shrinking woman.

Amy

6:17 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

I don't understand the shoe thing at all. I can't tolerate shoes that hurt. Or the looks of those silly pointed elf shoes that are 'in' now. I think they need a bell on it.

I need to make toe-up socks someday. I've only managed one pair of socks. Kinda funny I have so many skeins of Anne and koigu, huh?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home