Monday, August 14, 2006

Creativity of the Edible Variety

I've not felt like going to the grocery store since returning from vacation, so we're currently eating whatever I can find in the pantry, fridge, and freezer. I made up a recipe last night using what was on hand, and it was rather good. I'll share it with you.

Turkey Meatloaf Burgers
1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1 envelope Lipton Golden Onion Soup Mix
2 tablespoons Heinz 57 Steak Sauce
about 1/2 cup Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs
1 small can Hunts Tomato Paste

Mix turkey with soup mix, steak sauce, and enough bread crumbs to keep the mixture from being too sticky. (Ground turkey is very soft and tends not to hold together in patties without some bread crumbs.) Form into small patties and brown both sides of each patty in a non-stick skillet. Pour tomato sauce over patties, cover, and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. Shortly before serving, uncover skillet and top patties with freshly ground parmesan cheese.

I served these with fresh green beans and spooned some of the extra tomato sauce over the beans. Yummy! My family just ate this up.

Now, to address comments about yesterday's post. Many Southerners drink sweet tea--so sweet it will put you into a diabetic coma! I detest sweet tea although I was born and brought up right here in SC. I'm so sorry, Theresa. I know that changes your opinion of me drastically. :-) I drink my tea unsweetened unless it is hot tea. You really have to protect your glass in restaurants, or the servers will automatically refill your glass with sweet tea. It's also helpful for us non-sweet tea lovers to taste our glass before adding artificial sweetener just to make sure we've indeed been given our unsweetened tea.

Texas Pete is hot sauce. No good Southern kitchen is without a bottle of Texas Pete.

Today was a busy one. In addition to other appointments and work, daughter had to check in at school and set up her locker. Tomorrow is her first day back to school. She's excited. The kids have grown so much over the summer. I know they hate when we moms say that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! Your burgers sound good, I'll have to send the recipe to my daughter. She's the cook in the family, at least on weeknights. I think we even have all those things...

2:21 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

That does sound like a tasty turkey burger! I'll have to remember that one.

And as a Yank who used to vacation in Myrtle Beach as a kid, I am well aware of the "taste your tea before you add Sweet & Low" caveat. Ick. =)

3:44 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I still love ya Donna, I just don't understand you. Next thing you'll tell me is that you're a Gamecock.
The turkey burgers sound good - I think I'll try them!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home