Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Tickle Me Elmo and Then Just "Bead" It

Warning. This post is picture heavy! I'm trying to make up for the severe lack of pictures in the last several posts.

Technology is a fabulous thing, particularly cell phones, text and picture messaging. On Monday I got a rather mysterious picture message on my phone, supposedly from daughter. Here's what she sent me:

Yep. That's Elmo, but not of the "tickle me" variety. Further texting indicated that daughter had been instructed to hang Elmo upside down and then draw him.

Yesterday, the following picture message came my way, and it brought tears to my eyes:

Isn't he great?? I think she did well with capturing the light and shadowing. If you look back at the original photo, you'll see how the light is aimed towards Elmo.

Daughter really summed it up yesterday when she sent me the message "I'm learning stuff, but in a fun way." I'm glad she's having this opportunity. She almost backed out of applying for the summer program, but someone (mom!) insisted she at least send in the application and then take it from there.

The artist and her boyfriend....that lip ring is a fake intended to freak his parents out.

Yesterday was a much better day for me than Monday. I got up with a purpose in mind--the purpose was merely not to eat everything in sight and not to sit around like a slug! I achieved that. Today is working out pretty well so far, too. Both yesterday and today I've gotten in 30 minute workouts on the elliptical. The first 15 minutes are not easy, but I keep pushing myself. It's worth it. I want to drop a few more pounds before September. My belly dance class is performing at a local festival, and I'd like to look good in my choli!

Speaking of belly dancers, here's a photo from Riverfest of my favorite belly dancer.


You probably noticed the lack of knitting in this knitting blog. I'm still plodding along on my eyelet cardi, and it is a plod now--plain old stockinette for miles and miles. UGH! It's going to be gorgeous, but I think I'm going to save it for car knitting even though it is very large at this point.

Instead of knitting, I've been netting--bead netting. I'm working on a very simple choker style necklace. Here's my beading setup:

This is just a simple magnetic dry erase board (the same one I use for knitting charts) on which I've attached the pattern. The little tray is from the art department at Michael's and is intended to hold paints. I'm using a beading needle with a gigantic eye running down the center of it. This is very easy for my tired old eyes to thread! Here's a close up of the necklace:

I worked 11 inches on this in just a few hours yesterday. I'm probably aiming for a 15-16 inch necklace, so this should be finished today. The pattern came from this website. I saved a copy many years ago, but it's still there on page 18! Take some time and look through the 35 pages of free beading patterns!!

My next beading project will be an African netted necklace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

That daughter of yours has some major talent! Plus, she's really a beautiful young woman.

I love what you are doing with the beads. It looks like such fun, but I SO do not need another hobby...

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work by Em, great pictures and great beading. uh, to sum up... great. ;) Hope Em is having the time of her life at SCAD.

9:37 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. That's an excellent sketch! She's definitely got talent. Good thing Mom knows not to let it go to waste!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home