Monday, June 16, 2008

Tales of the Recently Unemployed

Yes, it has been April since I last blogged. Life has been interesting to say the least. Work was horrible. It was a constant "when is the next shoe going to drop" situation. I had become physically ill at the thought of stepping into my office. I'd sit in my chair on Sunday nights dreading having to go to work on Monday morning. It didn't help matters that my work is in my home. I was a regionally based manager working from home. When the job is enjoyable, this is an ideal situation. When the job becomes unbearable, it is a hell from which there is no escape.

My lucky break came on Tuesday when I received a phone call from the department VP informing me that my position at work was "redundant." That's business speak for "we don't have enough work coming in so we're laying off you and 12 of your friends." Trust me, people, it is a blessing in disguise! I'd been expecting this, but the timing was about a month earlier than I thought it would be. I've been in layoff situations with companies before, and it's usually the first ones out who are best off. That's when there's money (in most cases) to pay at least a small severance benefit. My last day of work was Friday, and I truly feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders. I can breathe again.

So...what's a recently unemployed girl to do with her time? I plan to have a life! I want to enjoy my family and friends and just do some things for me!! I actually had the energy on Saturday to get together with a couple of friends for a WWKIP. I'm going to belly dancing class tonight--first time! I'm working on a couple of home improvement projects. I'm also re-connecting with long-lost friends with whom I worked at previous jobs. As the t-shirts say "Life is Good."

6 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Good for you! Take some time for yourself and get happy!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw your comment on Facebook about looking for a job... sounds like you're making some killer lemonade from the lemons you've been dealt!

Enjoy the respite!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Hockey Mom said...

Does this mean you'll come see us at Guild? (I'm so selfish!)

So glad you've time for yourself, you definitely deserve it!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Whew, glad life will get better for you. When work sucks the life outta you, not fun. Have a great time at belly dancing :)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Enjoy your time in the interim. Have fun, relax and regroup.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

Sounds like a good decision. Enjoy!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home