Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Serious Doubts About This Sari Silk

I've been knitting along on the boobholder but am having some serious doubts about the sari silk yarn. It is beautiful--the colors are so vibrant. However, the quality is sub-par IMO. There are some very thin areas in the yarn--lots and lots of very thin areas no thicker than a single thread. This will not hold up over time and wear. I don't know what brand the yarn is. It came to me a couple of years ago in a yarn swap. There are better quality sari silk yarns out there, though. I think this particular batch is destined to become the fringe on a fringe belt. (Take a look here for some fringe belt examples.) I think if I put enough strands together and perhaps twist them, they'll hold up sufficiently as part of a fringe.

Daughter and I went to belly dance class last night. It was great. I had more fun this week than last week. I was more relaxed and chatted with some of my classmates. Believe it or not, I can be a little reserved and shy in social situations. There's an exhibition dance on July 4, and the class seems to be focusing on learning the choreography for that. Well, it's going to be a while before I dance in public! I hear that we'll be dealing more with the basic elements of belly dancing after the 4th, and that's exciting to me.

Daughter plans to dance in public on July 4! She's picked up the moves very easily and is doing a good job. I'm impressed. We've been putting together her outfit--long, full black skirt, aqua harem pants to wear underneath, jewelry, a fancy headband and flowers to wear in her hair, coin scarf for her hips, and a type of blouse called a choli. I sewed the choli myself using a purple stretchy crushed velvet. It turned out very well.

I know a picture speaks a thousand words or something like that. I'll try to get some photos for you before long. For now, there are some walls calling to me saying that they need to be painted!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There's a show on Fit TV called Shimmy that's bellydancing. Sophie ADORES that show!! She watches it everytime it comes on and has gotten pretty good at mimicking some of the moves!

Sounds like y'all are having a blast!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Hi Donna. I tagged you for a meme if you are up to the challenge.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home