Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Peek A Boo

The property our house sits on is gradually sloping from the back yard to the front. I suspect that they graded the lot a bit when the house was built many years ago, because there is a retaining wall made of landscape blocks edging the back yard along the parking area. Look who we found in a crack in the blocks yesterday.

We've not seen much more of this little guy than his (her?) head, but we suspect he (she?) is an Eastern King Snake, a non-venomous snake native to our area. From what we've seen so far, this particular snake is small and probably young. I don't mind having him around, because king snakes eat venomous snakes such as copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes. I will, however, either avoid walking up and down the steps that are part of the retaining wall or else use extreme caution when doing so! As long as Snakey doesn't surprise me (aka scare the hell out of me!) all is good here.

Daughter had mentioned a few weeks back that she saw a snake head poking out of the retaining wall, but we thought perhaps she'd seen one of our other little guests instead. I'd never seen an Eastern Fence Lizard until we moved into this house. They are all over the place here!

I'm still working along on my Eyelet Cardi and am almost in the home stretch! It is a rather boring blob of off white at the moment, so I won't bore you with a photo.

The Boob Holder in sari silk has gone bye bye. The yarn was just not working for this pattern although the colors were gorgeous. I have instead decided that this yarn may just work for a purse.

Inspired by my new friend Jeannie, I'm going to give crochet a shot once again! I picked up a couple of hooks and some thread at Wal Mart, and I am planning to work on some jewelry of some sort or other. The pattern on this page is the one I'm going to try. There are also a few other interesting projects on the page.

We're planning a big July 4th! Daughter is belly dancing with our beginner class on Friday night. This is her first public appearance, and I think she's the youngest dancer in the group. I'm really proud of her--she picked up the choreography so easily and is doing quite well. She also looks cute in her dancing outfit!! With luck and determination, maybe I will be ready to dance this fall. That gives me time to put together my own outfit most of which I plan to sew myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yeah, I have some sari silk that I think needs to become the Chinese Charm bag from the first Stitch n Bitch. It's hard to make a wearable garment from.

Yay crochet!

3:05 AM  
Blogger choo choo knits said...

I tried TRIED to make a pillow cover out of sari silk and it was a SORRY excuse for a fiber. It has been frogged and I'm thinking of giving it back to my friend Sue who gave it to me in the first place. I am certain i will never want knit with it again it was so frustrating.

Although I have to say, maybe it was the type she gave me - because a friend of mine bought some that was SO soft - I must find out where she got it.

Love reading your blog - it made me smile!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home