Thursday, March 31, 2005

Lots of Stuff for Your Perusal

I’ve been waiting for nice weather and time to get out in the nice weather to make photos. Unfortunately, the planets have not aligned! Today was overcast, so I thought maybe photos outdoors would turn out....then the bottom fell out of the sky and we’re in the midst of a thunderstorm.

My free time lately has been spent knitting, and I have pictures to prove it! Market Squares is coming along. This pattern is rated as Intermediate plus, but I’m finding it very easy. I’ve recently started tier 7, so I’m almost to the half way point.


Wavy is completed as of last night. I used 4 skeins of Noro Kureyon in color 134. I’m pleased with the way this turned out. I still need to wash it to see if that softens up the yarn. When I was splicing, I noticed the yarn seemed very soft when those areas were wet. I’m so in love with Noro!! I have 1 skein of the Kureyon left and may turn that into a Wavy hat to match the scarf. I also have 5 skeins of Silk Garden that keep calling my name.


This scarf was made with 89 yards of a mohair/nylon blend with a metallic strand plied in. The yarn is by Visions “Unique Hand Plied Yarn” which a friend got for me in New Mexico. The yarn consists of a cranberry colored mohair strand, a multi color nylon strand, and the gold metallic strand. Because I only had a small amount of yarn, I opted for a twisted drop stitch pattern to make the yarn go further and to show off the yarn. The scarf needs blocking, but here’s a sneak peek at it.


Last week, husband and daughter visited their friend Pat. Pat lives in the country and has goats, chickens, and other assorted critters. Pat’s angora goats have been having babies, and here is one of the little guys with his mom. Isn’t he a cutie?

Here’s another of the goats (not an angora) having a little rest.


Much to my dismay, daughter and husband are trying to turn my house (within city limits, mind you!) into a farm. They have an incubator set up and are trying to hatch chicks—chicks which will swiftly find themselves a home in the country with Pat, I assure you! I am not 100% behind this project, but it seems I’m outnumbered. Maybe I better re-think that house in the country idea. Who knows what kind of things these two might drag up!! :-) (Pat, if you’re reading, I do still like you in spite of the incubator!)

In addition to the chick incubator, there appear to be what I’m assuming are fertile eggs in my refrigerator! (Oh, the horrors—mental images of hens and roosters doing the deed.) Daughter keeps asking when I’m going to cook these eggs, and unfortunately, I seem to have lost my appetite for eggs for the moment. I keep picturing chicks inside them. Yes, I did eat “yard eggs” when I was a kid,and even enjoyed some last year. The yolks were such a lovely golden color unlike the pale things you get at the store. This whole "raising chicks" thing has turned me almost completely off eggs, though. I think I’ll stick to my Publix eggs (in moderation) which come from celibate chickens. Daughter and husband will make good use of the yard eggs. I guess I’m just a wimp! Yes, I know these fresh eggs are better for me since they have no hormones pumped into them, and the life of a farm chicken is better than that of a “commercial” chicken. *sigh*

Someone wrote to ask about Wilton and Kool Aid dyeing. I’m no expert. I just say “oh that’s pretty” and take the pictures. I’ll try to convince husband to do a guest post for you on the joys of dyeing with food products.

In closing today, I’d like to say, Terri Schiavo, may you rest in peace.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi -- Where in SC are you? I'm in Lyman, between Greenville and Spartanburg. It's hard to find other knitters around here!
Judy

2:26 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

Your MSB looks wonderful! It really is an easy pattern and a great bag.

7:21 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Your knitting looks gorgeous. I'm with you on the incubator. My daughters would love it...momma would hate it.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home