Thursday, March 17, 2005

Knitting Needle Review

I purchased the Plymouth Sister Bamboo Needle set from an e-bay seller for $74.95 plus shipping (brand new). This is an excellent price, as the needle set retails for about $100. The set comes packed in a small case about the size of a check book. The needle tips range from US size 5 to 10 which covers my needs, and the cables make circular needles from 16 inches to 40 inches. The tips screw into the cables forming a very smooth and stable join. The needle tips are also very smooth, and the cables are nice.

I tried out the needles last night and am quite pleased with them. The major con that I see is that the smallest size circular is not very flexible. I struggled a bit knitting with it. I saw this problem in the Denise set also, so I think it is the nature of trying to knit a small circumference with an interchangeable needle set. Additionally, the cables are twisty coming out of the package. They store "folded" (as in twisted the way a cable needle single is purchased in the store), so you'll need to straighten them out (hot water does the trick) before using. I had no trouble attaching the cables to the needle tips, but someone with shaky hands or poor eyesight may be a bit challenged with this aspect of the needles.

I am happy with my purchase and think I'll get a lot of use out of this set. They are the good quality needle that I like and have become accustomed to using. This was money well-spent for me.

I've finished Tier 4 on the Market Squares Bag. It looks great! I am pleased with the colors that I chose for the bag, and so far so good with the first venture into entrelac.

The Wavy scarf is coming along nicely. Last night, I ran out of yarn, so I won't be able to do anymore with the scarf until this weekend when I pick up more yarn.

My copy of Scarf Style came today! Yay! I phoned Knitpicks about my concerns with their splitting my yarn shipment. One skein of the four I ordered came today, and I was worried about dye lots matching. The customer service lady said the order absolutely should not have been split without my permission. She told me that the yarn (Wool of the Andes) does not have dye lots but manufacturing lots. She is going to make sure that I receive four skeins with the same manufacturing lot. That was nice of them! I'm happy with Knitpicks again, but I believe from now on, my orders will be placed by phone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Yay for you getting your Scarf Style and the needle set. Sounds like you had a very happy St. Patrick's Day. And, rats, foiled again - I have a prior committment here in Brunswick on Saturday which keeps me from wandering up to Savannah :(

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your review of the needle set, I was thinking of getting one. Hope you're feeling better!

Sandra

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home