Saturday, April 30, 2005

First Garment Completed!

The Cotton Fleece tank top is officially completed except for blocking. I seamed it last night and actually enjoyed it! Mattress stitch isn't all that bad. Of course, I only had two side seams to do. In the future, though, I'll do this pattern in the round as far as possible.

I convinced the model to step outside in the rain for a couple of photos.


I'm not 100% happy with the results of the sweater. First, the yarn isn't quite right for the pattern. Maybe I should have used a smaller needle for the ribbing....It's a bit loose. Also, the arm hole openings are too low for daughter. She'll need to wear a sport bra or camisole under this tank. All in all, for a first real garment, I think I did OK.

I'm leaning toward doing this pattern from Berroco next. I have a skein and two thirds of the pink Cotton Fleece left. I think it would work in place of the Berroco yarn.

Daughter is in a sewing mood today, so she's playing with my machine. I bought a Janome sewing machine a few years ago, and it is just heaven to use. I've not sewn much lately, but I, too, have been feeling the tug to get back to it. Daughter has a dream of being a fashion designer one day, so she's been spending a lot of time sketching clothes. Now, she wants to sew her ideas! I can tell I'm in for an interesting next few years with this creative young lady.

Oh...I don't think I told you about a great Knitpicks experience. A few months back, I ordered 4 skeins of each of two colors of Wool of the Andes. For some reason, they sent me only one skein of one color. I called them, because I was worried about matching dye lots. The customer service person arranged to have a free skein sent with the remaining 3 they owed me. How nice was that? I do like Knitpicks, and I'm glad they are going with all their own line of yarns these days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Ah! Daughter and sweater are just lovely! I think you did a great job on the sweater. I'll bet it is comfy too.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first real garmet. It looks wonderful.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home