Sunday, April 17, 2005

Ask and You Shall Receive

Pictures are what you wanted, and I'll tease you with a few today! Let's take a trip back in time a couple of weeks to the Oatland Island Sheep to Shawl. This wasn't a huge festival, but if you recall, the nicest part was meeting Carolyn there. We enjoyed looking at the alpacas. They are adorable animals, but these two had apparently had enough of the crowds. Poor dears. They still had a shearing ahead of them when this photo was taken.


The second best part of the trip to Oatland Island was that while we were watching the spinning demo, a lady walked up and said she had a floor loom she needed to get rid of. When husband asked the price, she told him "you pick it up, you can have it!" You can't ask for a better price than that, so the following weekend, husband picked up what appears to be a LeClerc Fanny loom with bench. I think it is a 45 inch width, but I'd have to ask the resident weaver to be sure. The loom is in pretty good condition on the whole, but it has been stored in a college basement and most recently in a garage. Husband has taken the whole thing apart and is in the process of giving it a complete overhaul. I have no pictures, unfortunately. I should have gotten a before and after shot.

The Art Festival at daughter's school is now officially over! It was fun, but yesterday sure was a long day. The morning started off very cool and extremely windy, but it settled out a bit as the day went on. We had lots of lookers, but few buyers. We made about $90 on some skeins of yarn husband had spun and a few scarves I'd made. I gifted daughter's two best friends with one of the Noro hats each. I used a pattern purchased from e-bay as my inspiration for the hats, but changed them enough to make them originals. I plan to gift the rest of the hats to friends and family during the holidays.


Here are two shots of our booth. Notice the adorable hat daughter is wearing in the second photo! Husband made it using the pattern in the Spring issue of Interweave Knits. He made himself one, too. I'll get pictures of those for you later.




I have a few more photos from yesterday, but I'll save those for later this week.

Last night, I cast on a tank top for daughter using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in color Tea Rose. This yarn is divine!! It has made me have a changed view of knitting with cotton. The Cotton fleece is 80% cotton and 20% wool. I think it's the wool that makes all the difference.

People are buzzing about the upcoming Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. I'm not going. I have absolutely no desire to go. A good friend even invited me to fly up and stay with her and go to the festival. The thought of combating the huge crowds there is a complete turn off for me. I'd rather go to the smaller festivals and not have to fight crowds. I'm not bitter or the least bit jealous of you guys who are going to MDS&W. I hope you have fun and find some good deals. In fact, I'm so not bitter about this that I'm jumping on this bandwagon:



Grab your own button from the knitlette.

3 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Your hats and yarn are gorgeous! How fortunate to get a free loom. I hear they are pretty pricey. The button at the bottom is hilarious!

Amy

3:58 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow!! That loom is fabulous - I know Donald is happy to have gotten it. I absolutely LOVE those hats you made. They look good enough to eat. It sounds like the school festival was a resounding success!!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

aha! Now I understand your comment about all my scarves on my drying rack. Sure hope I sell some too at the next demo/sale I do. Your hats are truly lovely.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home