Saturday, January 07, 2006

Lovely Saturday

This day started beautifully--I was the first to wake up and got to enjoy some quiet time with the bunnies, cats, and a cup of coffee before the rest of the family arose. We had a back yard full of playful squirrels and all types of birds to enjoy this morning, too. We're keeping track of the birds we see in our yard, and so far, we have recorded between 28 and 30 different types. Some special treats this morning were a pair of yellow shafted flickers and a downy woodpecker. We also had what we think were pine warblers as well as blue birds, house finches, tit mice, chickadees, chipping sparrows, house sparrows, robins, carolina wrens and I can't remember what else. That was just this morning! The squirrels were also enjoying the crisp, cool morning by playing tag all over the yard, up and down and round and round the trees.

Carolina Wren


Playful Squirrel


After watching "back yard-o-vision" for a while, we got ourselves together and headed to Columbia for Hook 'n Needle's annual sale--at least 25% off everything in the store! I'd already planned my big projects for 2006 and had my yarn needs documented in my PDA, so this was very organized yarn shopping. Here's what I got:

The Debbie Bliss was 40% off, so I got two bags of Cashmerino Aran to make Tubey. I decided that stripes were not my thing so went for a solid rose color instead. The two bags of white yarn are Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk in DK weight. I'm planning to make another Cozy with this.


Here we have the Mountain Colors collection. The red mohair belongs to husband, and he's planning a shawl. Beside that are three skeins of 4/8's wool that I'm going to use for Clapotis.


Noro was also 40% off, and I stocked up on enough Kureyon for two Booga Bags and two skeins of Silk Garden for an Edgar scarf.


I want to make a Branching Out for my mom, so I picked up a skein of teal Silky Wool. With a 25% off sale, these lovely Colonial rosewood needles managed to follow me home, too. I had sizes 7 and 8 so added a 9 and a 10 to my collection.


We made a stop by The Needler in Lexington. This isn't a store I'm terribly fond of, because they have such a small selection of yarn and most of that is novelty type. Also, they arrange by color which is not a fun way for me to shop. However, I found some deals. The Crystal Palace straight needles seemed to be a bargain, so we got some. I also spotted a discount bin and picked up the two best things in it: a skein of Silky Wool and one of Rowan Summer Tweed both marked $2 each.


I really could not have asked for a better day! If you are in the Columbia area, Hook 'n Needle's sale will be going on for the next 3 1/2 weeks. The store is only open Thursday through Saturday from 11 AM to 3 PM. You won't be disappointed by stopping in for a look see!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, some stash enhancement! I'm drooling over the Mt. Colors...I just love that stuff. You have enough to keep you busy for a while... ;-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

What a sale! I really need to drive up I-26 to get there some day.

I adore the red mohair.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

oooh, an alpaca silk cozy, that will be cozy indeed!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home