Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Works in Progress

Fetching has become my "mindless knitting." This is my 4th pair in less than a month. These are not finished yet; I still have the thumbs to work on both mitts. I've given away two pairs (before getting photos); daughter is in possession of the original pair; and this one is all mine. I used Encore for this pair. The yarn was left over from a pair made for my grandmother. (She, who never likes ANYTHING, loved her Fetchings!)



This is the first pair of Fetching that I've made strictly by the pattern. The other three were all made longer in the finger portion, and Grandma's were knit plain in the palm rather than K4 P1 ribbed. I used the pattern recommended Debbie Bliss yarn for daughter's mitts, but opted for machine washable Encore for the others.

My other current work in progress is the Naughty and Nice Scarf from Debbie Stoller's Son of Stitch 'n Bitch. This is a (late) Christmas gift for my brother. Can you see the dancing lady?



How about now?


This scarf is made in two halves that are then joined using a 3-needle bind off. I've completed the first half and am about 1/3 of the way into the second half. This is an easy knit, and the charts are very easy to follow.

We made a trip to Columbia over the weekend to take advantage of Hook 'n Needle's semi-annual sale. We did not run rampant in our shopping, surprisingly. I'll share pictures of newly acquired stash later in the week. We were pleasantly surprised to run into Kat and Beverly and her mom at the store.

We also managed to stop by In the Loop but weren't really able to do a lot of looking around. They were having a class, and it was hard to get to the yarn for all the students gathered around learning fair isle. From what I could tell, the store carries some nice things.

Daughter is quite artistic, but not in love with the fiber arts the way husband and I are. We wanted this outing to be fun for everyone, so we took her to her version of heaven--City Art. She gave the store the ultimate compliment--it's as good as Ex Libris in Savannah, and closer! Her only complaint is that we were in Dad's tiny car and unable to buy any of the very large canvases she wanted. She still made out pretty well with two 12 X 12 canvases (these have a thick edge, and that is apparently important), a tube of acrylic paint, a package of oil pastels, some large sheets of drawing paper, and a very snazzy wood box/easel combination to store her acrylics and brushes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mag said...

I can see the dancing lady! It's like magic. ;)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

The scarf is pretty cool, and I like the Fetchings, of course.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home