Sunday, December 09, 2007

My Day

This day hasn't really gone as planned, but I'm not complaining. I woke up bright and early at 7:30 (that's early for Sunday morning) with every intention of sitting and knitting all day long. Well, you know they say the highway to hell is paved with good intentions, right? Look out, Satan, I'm on my way! Maybe the things I have accomplished will delay that trip a little.

I was out of town on business last week, so the sour dough starter got neglected until last night when it got fed. I mixed up a batch of dough first thing this morning, and the loaves will be formed and left to rise overnight tonight. Hopefully huband will be willing to bake them when he gets up in the morning.

After indulging in two cups of coffee and toast for breakfast, I peeled way too many apples and put them in the crock pot to cook into apple butter. Mmm. The house smells great. Too bad it's so warm today and not really and apple buttery kind of day. Maybe the temperatures will be more seasonally accurate later in the week.

While this domestic goddess spirit was still upon me, I whipped up a chicken pot pie using the less artery clogging version of Paula Deen's Lady and Sons Restaurant recipe. Yummy! I've been working on this recipe bit by bit, omitting the puff pastry, switching from heavy whipping cream to half-and-half, now down to whole milk. Next step--2% milk and possibly even down to skim milk. The pie is still tasting great and a big hit with my family.

Finally, after lunch today I've managed to vegetate in my recliner and work on the Koolhaas Hat that I started during my trip last week. The hat pattern is very easy, but it looks complicated. It's featured in the Holiday edition of Interweave Knits (which is sold out, so shame on you if you didn't buy it!). I'm working the hat in KP Wool of the Andes in Evergreen.

This weekend has also been a movie weekend. Daughter and I picked up the Pirates of the Carribean third movie last night. It was pretty good--how can you go wrong with Johnny Depp? This afternoon, I watched Dirty Dancing (again!) on cable. I love that movie--such a classic. And how can you go wrong with Patrick Swayze??

3 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

Dirty Dancing is one of those movies that if I stumble on it on tv, I MUST watch it to the end. :D

And I may have to pick your brain on this "apple butter in a crock pot" thing. I am intrigued

9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have days like that... the last one I made brioche, and premade supper for 2 days... what's with that??? :)

The apple butter sounds good, but seasonally appropriate weather is a MUST :)

10:56 PM  
Blogger bev said...

oh i love dirty dancing! i must have watched that movie a million times.

the apple butter sounds awesome. i bet it's really good on the fresh baked bread. i'm not having weight-watcherly thoughts right now!! :)

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home