Friday, July 11, 2008

Beach Blogging

Greetings from Hilton Head Island.

We enjoyed some thrift store shopping today. You never know what you might find! At our first stop, I found a huge bag full of wool yarn imported from Sweden. It felt like wool and was in some great colors--gold, burgandy, green. The price was $10, quite the bargain. The yarn was from a rug kit, and I think the pattern was still there. I gave dibs on it to a lady from TN who was going to use it for weaving. I also found a nice but small padded blocking board marked at $5. It was too small for any of the projects I make, so again, sold to the lady from TN! It made me happy to see these things find loving fiber homes without it costing me anything. My score from this thrift store was Louisa Harding's Swallotails pattern book. Retail on it is around $18, and I only paid 50 cents.

At our next stop, I found two complete skeins of Cotton Fleece (one hot pink and one bright orange) for $1 each and some blue Bernat cotton for 50 cents for two skeins. I'll probably use it for knitted or crocheted shopping bags. Husband bought a bag of 10 skeins of dark beige mohair (not fuzzy) yarn for $5. I also picked up two knitting patterns (priced at 2 for 25 cents). One is a Penny Straker sweater pattern called Child's Nashawena #C886 and the other is a Cabin Fever women's tank top pattern Lace Checks #253. Not a bad haul!

We made a visit to The Courtyard and saw some great summer yarns there. I was so tempted, but given my current state of unemployment, I resisted and just walked away with the latest copy of Crochet Today and a new crochet hook. Yes, I'm proud of me and also glad that we're not going to be on this island tomorrow in case my resistance starts to crumble!

Daughter's art show is this evening, and I'm excited about that and about seeing her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Have a relaxing time at the beach. Daughter is super talented. The drawing of Elmo is amazing and no wonder she got some super talented parents.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home