Wednesday, March 11, 2009

On My Toes

My first toe up sock attempt is completed. I'm not thrilled with the results for several reasons, and my crappy photograph isn't helping matters much.



Let me just say that Judy Becker's Magic Cast On is indeed magic. I found printed instructions for this, but it didn't click until I watched the video. If you are on Ravelry, join the Up With Toes group and check out the group pages for more info on this cast on and other goodies related to knitting socks from the toe up.

The yarn I used was Tofutsies which is 50% Superwash Wool, 25% SOYSILK brand fiber, 22.5% Cotton, and 2.5% Chitin which is made from shrimp and crab shells. The yarn was pretty in the ball and soft. However, it wsn't very much fun to knit. I found it to be very splitty, particularly when I was wrestling 5 DPNs while knitting the toe increases. (Yes, I have heard of magic loop and will try it next time.) I have another brand new ball of this stuff in a darker pink/red color that I'm willing to swap. It was around $16 at the LYS. Make me an offer if you're interested!

I used the Widdershins pattern from Knitty for my socks--the plain version, not the cabled version. It's not a bad pattern, but I had some trouble with my wraps and turns and then knitting my wraps. That's not the fault of the pattern but due to the fact that this was my first time wrapping and turning. I think that will improve.

This was definitely a learning experience, and one important thing I learned is that I need to learn to knit socks with magic loop or two circulars if I plant to carry the project in my purse. I took this project on a business trip and was afraid the needles were going to get snapped in my purse.

Another thing I want to learn is a heel that doesn't have a heel flap. I'm not a big fan of the flap.

Now, on to Kitty News....... The three little kittens (aka Mocha, Socks, and Fluffy) are trying to get along. There has been less and less hissing and growling. In fact, all three of them were sitting within 5 feet of each other earlier today. Of course, they all seemed to be ignoring one another, but that's a cat for you.

3 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Hey, not too shabby for a first pair! Stop pointing out the parts you don't like! They look great and they fit!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Welcome to the fold. Your socks look great for your first pair.

I love knitting socks toe-up. My favorite heel is the short-row heel a la Priscilla Gibson-Roberts.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your socks, Donna! Especially for your first attempt--yay, you!

I haven't stopped by in awhile, and all of a sudden, I thought "I must go check out what Donna is doing!" And here I am. And now you have three cats! I should have stopped by before!

Hope all the kitties learn to get along:)

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home