Sunday, December 05, 2004

Hats in the Home Stretch!

I've finished knitting the four hats that I had to get done for the neices and nephews for Christmas. I decided to go for the pom poms on the boys' hats, and they look cute. The girls' hats are topped off with I-cord umbilical knots and are adorable, I think. I can't wait to see these on the recipients. The last step is to sew on the decorative buttons. The two boys' hats will get dinosaur buttons; the red girl's hat will get smiley face flowers; and the pink girl's hat will get butterflies. Here's a picture of what the hats look like at present:


The red, dark green (it looks black in my photo), and pink hats are made from Bernat Softee Chunky yarn. The only good things I can say about this yarn is that it knits up quickly and it's machine washable. The yarn was most definitely not a pleasure to knit. The lighter green hat is made from worsted weight Lion Brand Woolease.

Shame on me, but I've got my eye on a new wheel. I'm beginning to think a more portable wheel than my beloved Schacht would be nice for traveling. I am seriously considering an Ashford Kiwi that has been modified to fold. The cost is under $250 which fits my budget fairly well. Hmmm...decisions, decisions.

You have got to see what Carolyn has spun! Take a look at her page to see the lovely yarn she made from fiber purchased at Wild Fibre in Savannah. That lucky Carolyn was even able to go sit and spin in the store this weekend. Yes, I'm jealous!! We're hoping to be able to get together for some spinning during the holidays.

Husband went on a fiber journey yesterday. He came home with a brand new looking Harrisville loom bench to go with the loom we bought last Christmas and some boat shuttles. All of the stuff looks brand new, and he got it for a song. A lady in the upper part of the state is clearing out here fiber equipment, and he bought from her. Husband also took a little side trip over to Yarns to Dye For in Hendersonville and came home with some luscious looking Cascade Pastaza that is destined for the dye pot. The yarn is a 50/50 llama wool blend.

Daughter and I stayed home yesterday so that she could study for a big English test she has Monday. I also conquered Mount Laundry and started packing for my trip to Charlottesville. I leave today for a 3 day business trip. One of my co-workers and best friends is a fiber fanatic, so we're thinking of trying to get over to Stony Mountain Fibers or to The Needle Lady while we're in the area.

I may or may not have blogging time this week. It all depends on how the meetings go. I'll be glad when they're over. I really am becoming more and more of a home body the older I get. I am, however, looking forward to next weekend. We're going to Asheville to visit Biltmore Estate and celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

It sounds like your business takes you to more interesting spots than mine. Stony Mountain Fibers!?!? Go for it!! I love that place. Happy Anniversary to you and Donald. (And will you sneak a visit to Earth Guild while in Asheville, too?)

2:05 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Oops - and I forgot to mention the hats turned out very nice. ;)

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home