Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly


Knitting Olympics


Let's start with the good! Daughter has made it to the finals round for the spelling bee at her school. Yay! I've lost 3.5 pounds in the past week. Yay! I ran the washing machine last night and there were no leaks. Yay!

There is no more bad than Simon Cowell! Yes, American Idol is back, and Simon is his usual delightfully bad self. The man makes this show! I love that he tells it like it is. There's a lot to be said for brutal honesty. I haven't been too impressed with any of the auditions this year either good or bad. Last night's Zachary (was that his name) was a puzzle. This is the guy who looked like a girl, talked like a girl, dressed like a girl, then cried because they said he looked like a girl. There's only one thing that would have proved otherwise in my book, but I don't think contestants are allowed to drop their pants on national television.

Finally, let's talk about the ugly. Fox had a program on following Idol last night called Skating with Celebrities. I'm no skating fan in the first place. I find it boring. However, we watched. A more appropriate title for this show would have been Skating with Has-Beens. What a complete waste of an hour! The premise of the show is that a "skating star" is paired with a run of the mill celebrity to learn a skating routine. Six pairs compete against each other. They are judged by 3 equally has-been judges. The judging panel is eerily similar in composition to the Idol judges--a Simon wannabe, a Paula wannabe (Dorothy Hamill), and a Randy wannabe. The old fart playing the Simon role (brutally honest, doesn't like anything) was such a pain in the ass! He didn't have the charisma to pull off the sarcasm.

In knitting news, I've ordered yarn for my Klaralund. Husband ran into some women we know at the Augusta LYS and was talking to them about the Columbia LYS. One of the ladies had just been to Columbia and told him that just about everything Silk Garden was sold out. Rather than drive up there to be disappointed, I found a good deal for the yarn on line. I ordered color 232. After adding shipping, the yarn ended up costing me a bit less than $20 more than I'd have paid locally. If you figure in gas money, the time to drive to Columbia and back home, and a bite of lunch along the way, I saved money. Also, I was assured of getting exactly the yarn I wanted by ordering it rather than having to settle for what was left. The yarn is coming from Canada (British Columbia to be exact) and surface shipping takes 1 1/2 to 3 weeks. That's fine with me, as I have PLENTY of other projects to keep me busy for now!

Beverly commented about her experience with Silk Garden and knots. So far, I've not found many knots in the yarn I've used for other projects. Hopefully that will be true for my sweater yarn. I was very anal about matching my Kureyon for Wavy, but I've already promised myself I'll be go with the flow for Klaralund! The Kureyon was so bold that it was easy to see when the colors shifted incorrectly. I think the Silk Garden is subtle enough that it will be OK. We shall see!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, Silk Garden!! I think 232 is the same color I used for a Christmas-present scarf this year (well, last year). I didn't have any knots, but there sure is a lot of straw, etc. in Noro! It's worth it for the end result, though.
(PS, is it my imagination, or are the Blogger verification words gettling a lot longer lately??)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

I love wool and needleworks! I've ordered from them, you won't be sorry.

Bad TV= a good reason for Netflix. The only thing I watch anymore on TV is the discovery channel and Gilmore Girls. I never got into the Idol thing- not much into talent shows.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Ha! I thought the same thing about the Zachary character. I don't think we're going to watch it this year, but the auditions are always amusing.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

You are the queen of online yarn sales. I'm stuck at home with the flu like bug (I've had the flu shot) or a fibromyalgia flair. I've been knitting some in spite of it all and have almost finished putting Tilt together.

The girl/guy on Idol has a bit of gender confusion. Why dress like a girl if you don't want to be mistaken for one?

You should try the Silver Thaw if you get a chance. I'll post more about this on my blog this weeked.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

What do you plan to make for the Knitting Olympics?

I'm leaning towards a sweater that was in the subscriber only section of IK.

When I made Klarlund, my Silk Garden had lots straw in it.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never had any problems with Silk Garden, and I have used it 3 or 4 times! As for being the last knitter to make a Clapotis, uh uh. That's me. Especially since I decided I want to spin the yarn to make it!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silk Garden is great! I've never had a problem with knots. You will find it some "bits" in it.
I wear my Klaralund all the time! Make sure you have the errata page.

7:48 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Yea for good grades! Yea for loosing weight! Yea for a working washing machine!

Amy

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home