Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Psst....Wanna Know a Secret?

I've been trying to convince myself for 10 months now that I was going to start exercising. I used to be quite fit and trim and did aerobics at least an hour a day 5 days a week if not more. Somewhere along the line, I got older and busier and let the workouts slip to the wayside. I finally decided to do something about it last week and joined Curves. It's affordable; the center is a 5 minute drive from my house; it only takes 30 minutes per workout; and it fits my schedule. The workout may not be intense enough for some incredibly fit person, but for me, it's the perfect place to start. I've been twice already and love it. The people are supportive and friendly. I know a lot of people complain about Curves because the corporate outlook is Christianity, right to life, etc. Those are all things that I don't particularly buy into, and I don't have to address them at the local workout center. I'm paying for a service, and that's what I'm getting.

I've sort of sub-consciously made a small step in the right direction in terms of food. At the grocery store today, instead of heading to the chips and candy aisle for a snack, I loaded up on some fresh fruit, low fat puddings, and whole wheat bagles. Of course, we are having ham and vegetable soup for dinner, but every little bit helps, right??

Speaking of eating and food, husband has this horrendous concoction growing in our kitchen. Yes, I said growing. The concoction is called Kefir. I sniffed it expecting a nice alcohol sweetness like you'd find with sour dough bread, and the darned thing just about took off my head it was so foul. It smells like milk that has gone terribly bad and should be thrown away immediately. I swear I would starve to death before any of that stuff goes in my mouth. If husband suddenly turns up dead, I'll know it was bad bugs in his concoction! :)

I've hit a knitting block. I just cannot get down to a project. Husband is pestering me to finish the shawl, but that's just because he wants the needles for his own project. *sigh* What is a girl to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherry W said...

Kefir- yuck! I like things like goat's milk and homemade yogurt but I don't like the kefir!

Knitting slump, huh? I think you need to travel some blogs- I always gather my 'to do' list that way. :)

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you don't think it can be "made into a delicious smoothie that kids love"?? LOL...

I've got to get back on the Weight Watchers program myself. I lost quite a bit and then got lazy, and you know how that goes!!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on my fourth day of Curves and love it... people are helpful and not too goody-goody if you know what I mean. So far I seem to hit "old people hour" but they're a hoot so I'm just as thrilled.

As for Kefir... I've never made it, although I've seen it at the local Middle Eastern Market. I've never bought it, but I love their yogurt and it's supposedly similar.. incredibly healthy from what I hear.

We've revamped eating here too. We're making out menus for supper for a week at a time so that cooking is a lot more straightforward... just do it, instead of playing "Iron Chef" everynight. So far it's really worked.

7:22 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

My mother joined Curves serveral months ago and loves it. We're cheering for you.

Amy

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home