Sunday, May 21, 2006

Festive Festival

We attended the Georgia Renaissance Festival yesterday and had a wonderful time. I'll upload pictures either later today or early next week. Daughter took along a friend, I got some nice shots of the two of them fencing. Her friend had been to the festival before, and he'd been talking about fencing from the day we invited him. Poor kid. Daughter beat him! That's OK, because later in the day, he fenced Husband and regained his pride be beating an adult. The kids are now talking about the possibility of taking fencing lessons. It sounds like fun to me, so I may even give it a hand. I didn't try yesterday and wish I had.

I was impressed with the rides at the festival, because they were not the typical carnival metal and electric rides. We only did one ride, the Crow's Nest. It was a very large wooden structure similar to the crow's nest on a ship. It was suspended from a pole by numerous stout ropes. The center of the pole was greased, and two men turned the crow's nest round and round to wind the ropes May Pole fashion around the greased pole. When they let go, it was a rocky, fast, and quite entertaining ride.

I was amazed at how many people were in costume at the festival. Husband was amazed at the amount of cleavage on display!! I want to make costumes for us to wear next year. Daughter fell in love with a fairy costume, but I didn't love the price--$200. It was beautiful and extremely well made, but I just can't quite see spending that amount. I am leaning toward a wench costume myself. Wenches seem to have a lot of fun! I'm leaning toward the look on the right of the photo in this link.

We are already looking forward to going back to the festival next spring. Who knows? Maybe we'll take in this one in the fall.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vera said...

I went to the GA Ren Fest a few years ago. I enjoyed the Dead Bob Show and the Washing Wenches.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

I love ren fests. I made my skirts and shifts for my outfit, but I bought my bodice (my old sewing machine can't deal with the heavy duty fabric). If you can set in boning and work with a eyelet punch, no reason you can't make it all.

BTW, I won a used Lendrum on ebay last night. :)

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home