Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Please Don't Let It Rain Today!

Long time no post, eh? If you're here looking for FO pictures, sorry. Not today. Life has been busy here, and there has been no time for photo shoots.

Daughter's soccer team had their first playoff game on Monday, and they WON! The final match is this afternoon, and there is an 80% chance of rain. Please, please, please, do your "no rain" dance.

Hey, Vera....pssst....guess what? I've been crocheting. I picked up Debbie Stoller's new book The Happy Hooker this weekend and was inspired. I've been wanting to re-learn to crochet, so I finally grabbed a hook yesterday and whipped out a flower. It was easy and the results were gorgeous. Yeah, yeah. I know you guys want to see. I made the flower with leftover Noro Kureyon from my Booga Bag and attached it to a pin back. It's currently residing on the Booga Bag but coule easily come off to go sit on a coat lapel or something. I tell you, crocheting with decent yarn rather than that cheap acrylic crap I used as a child sure is nice.

In comments, Carolyn mentioned a friend who's moving to the area. Carolyn, she'll be about an hour away from us. Give her our e-mail addresses!

Sherry asked about the wheels we own. We have an Ashford Kiwi. It's nice enough, and my daughter likes it a lot. I'm not so crazy about it and had considered selling it. However, it is a really inexpensive wheel and good for taking out to demos. The wheel we have came from The Merlin Tree and has been converted so that the treadles fold up for storage. Check the link above, and you'll see a picture of that alteration. Both my husband and daughter have Lendrum folding wheels with double treadle. These are fabulous wheels and the ones I'd recommend for beginners. They are easy to use and compact enough to fold up and carry with you. I have a Schacht Matchless DT which I love. It spins like a dream. These wheels are really pricey, but I was lucky enough to find a barely used one that was affordable. The lady I bought it from had gotten it for a class and then didn't take to spinning. The wheel had only a few hours use on it when I got it. We also have a Kromski Polonaise single treadle saxony style wheel. Until a couple of months ago, we had a Louet S-10. I cannot put into words how much I hated that wheel. It was my first wheel and bought without first trying it. If I'd tried it, I'd have saved myself a couple hundred dollars. Fortunately, we sold it for about what we paid for it.

If you are thinking about a wheel, try before you buy if at all possible. It's worth it to find out what you love and what you hate. As I mentioned above, I think the Lendrum DT is a great beginner wheel. They are really popular, so there is often a wait list for purchasing these. It is worth the wait!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I'm praying that it rains on me, not you! I didn't water yesterday, because they said lots of rain, and none yet, and the sun is shining!
I have an S10, and I love it! ha-ha!! Maybe I just don't know any better.
Good luck with the game, we'll be rooting for you!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

Great! I'm thinking about that Sweet Pea shawl. It is very nice to crochet
with nice yarn.

I'm looking forward to seeing the flower on the Booga Bag. The Booga Bag was my first knitted bag.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Okay, I will pass her email along to you when she gets all settled with a new email account. She said it would have to change when they move. I am glad you will not be that far apart. In the fiber world, 1 hour is not bad.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home