Monday, June 19, 2006

What Next?

The title pretty much sums up our weekend. We took of on Friday afternoon for a relaxing weekend at Hilton Head. As I relate this story to you, keep in mind that we own the condo, so we're responsible for all repairs. Saturday morning, we figured out that the ice maker in our place wasn't working. We switch it off before we leave each visit, and I'd turned it back on about 9 PM Friday night. The thing was leaking from the bottom and freezing a little sheet of ice in the ice bucket. No biggy...we just filled ice trays. Husband plans to take the ice maker apart next time we visit and see if he can fix it.

About 5:30 Saturday morning, I heard keys in our door lock and someone fumbling around. I got up, and told the guy standing there to move on because he was at the wrong door. No, I did not open the door to him. He came back about 15 minutes later, and by then I was working up a good scared. I again told him to move on and called security. They patrolled the place but didn't find him. Likely, he was drunk and lost in the villas. All the buildings look alike. It still was scary, and I got out of bed at that point.

We had a great day Saturday with a beach walk and some pool time. The weather could not have been more perfect--blue skies, balmy breezes, and nice temps. We went out on Saturday afternoon to do a couple of errands and came back hungry and ready to cook dinner and put our feet up. Husband couldn't get the door open. What? Let me see?? Surely, he must have been doing something wrong. We tried for about 15 minutes but could not get the lock to budge. So....off to the hardware store to buy a drill (for drilling out the lock) and a new set of locks for the door. We'd been meaning to change them anyway. I think it took close to an hour to get in. So much for relaxing evening. We didn't even get dinner until 8 PM.

I don't think anything happened on Sunday. We had more pool and beach fun and headed home mid-afternoon. However, this morning, it started again. My Explorer has a flat. I'm talking flat to the ground, flat as a pancake flat. I'll call AAA in a bit to see if they can come over and at least take the tire off.

*sigh* Do I dare say "What next?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

After all the tragedy here in the upstate, the guy at the door had me a bit frightened. And then not being able to get in - yea, I was freaking out. Good thoughts coming your way - remember, everything happens for a reason!

10:47 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

At least you got in a little R&R. The quality time with the hubby is a nice treat too.

Amy

4:35 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Bad luck comes in threes, so it looks like you are done. We used to go to Hilton Head every year, but it's been a while since we've been there. Seems like after the move might be a good time for our next trip.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home