Monday, June 05, 2006

I Shouldn't Be Allowed to Watch or Read the News

I remember Mom used to threaten not to let Daddy watch the news. It made his blood pressure go up because of the antics of local and national politicians. I think I know how he felt. I am angry and saddened by the latest antics of that fool in the White House. Have you seen this? He wants to make gay marriage unconstitutional. He thinks that "Changing the definition of marriage would undermine the structure of the family." I think he's full of crap.

I'm neither a staunch supporter of gay marriage or an opponent of it. It just doesn't matter all that much to me. The fact that two women or two men love each other enough to want to legally establish a family together in no way harms me. "Redefining" marriage does not undermine my marriage or my family. "A vote for this amendment is a vote for bigotry pure and simple," said Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy. I agree with that. Interestingly enough, Cheney doesn't agree with Bush on this issue. Cheney's daughter, Mary, is a lesbian. This is one time Cheney and I will agree on something.

Enough of the heavy duty stuff. I snagged an alphabet die set for the Sizzix on E-bay this morning. The set is brand new and retails for $149. Including shipping and insurance, I paid less than half that! Yep, I'm feeling pretty good about myself. Daughter did a page last night and used several die cuts we made wtih the Sizzix. She did a fantastic job. I only got as far as cropping some photos. I'm still trying to come up with a good layout for some of our Ren Fest pictures.

The knitting has been languishing as paper takes front and center for me lately. I'm also reading. Daughter's summer reading list came last week, and we made a trip to the library. I've read a couple of books from the young adult section and am currently in the middle of Jane Eyre. I read it many years ago and loved it! I want to get Wuthering Heights next. We also received a shipment from Amazon last week and have some good things there to read.

4 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

I'm with you on the gay marriage. I think people have a right to love whoever they please, and to legally raise children together. I'd say more, but then I'd just start ranting about this issue.

It's funny that you and your daughter have gotten into scrapbooking. Recently a new friend of mine showed me her scrapbooking studio and I was blown away! She designs layouts for one of the scrapbooking mags, and to see them in person was so neat. I keep going into the scrapbooking stores and keep resisting all of those great papers. Maybe I should sell my yarn stash and just dive into scrapbooking. It looks like I would be in good company.

Oh and please share photos of some of yours and daughters scrapbooking pages!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I could go on and on about how pi**ed off I get about the flack with the same sex marriage thing, but then I'd never stop. I just wish we'd all wake up and pay attention to sickness, hunger and homelessness. sigh. anyway, I want to come live with you - reading, knitting, scrapbooking!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you!

I like the way you think regarding Bush and his latest crusade.

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, too. How does it harm you or me if two adults who love each other get married? (And have you ever noticed that it's men who get more worked up about gays than women do? I've wondered about that for a long time.)

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home