Friday, June 08, 2007

Pomp and Circumstance(s)

As of June 1, I am officially the mother of a high schooler. Daughter has graduated from 8th grade. They had a nice ceremony at school, and the children....umm...young adults....looked wonderful. I've known a lot of these kids since they were 5 years old. My, how time flies. Daughter received recognition for having been at the school since Kindergarten, but more importantly, she received a certificate for making honor roll again this year. Here's a photo of her receiving an award from one of her teachers.



I'm relieved that daughter will not be going to a big public high school. She's been in the same private school for the past 9 years, and she will finish out her high school years at the same place. That was a big part in our decision to send her to this school--it covers all grade levels.

To celebrate daughter's graduation and the official start of summer break, we headed out to the beach for a long weekend. Well, you can't always predict the weather, so this is what we saw on the beach.





Yes, people are wearing jackets and long pants. There were some brave souls in the water, but I am convinced they were either Eskimos or Canadian. It was raining, too. Did I mention that? And it was horribly blustery. I am talking sand blast yourself when you walk down the beach blustery. Look at the poor life guard!



So how do you salvage a weekend like this? You can bring yourself a smile by making new friends.



You can watch movies like Footloose and Rent. You can also knit. We did all of the above!

I knit a pair of footies for daughter using Cascade Fixation. She loves them, and that is why there is not a picture of them here. I think they are hidden away somewhere in her room. I also continued to knit along on my Green Gable. I'll try to get photos up over the weekend.

We had to leave the beach and return home on Sunday afternoon, and of course, the sun came out as we pulled out of the parking lot. Fortunately, there are still several weeks of summer left ahead of us and ample opportunity to get back to the coast.

4 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That's what my last trip to the beach was like. But my friend and I had a blast just getting away from home and watching movies and being a tourist.

Congratulations! High School! Woo Hoo!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Congratulations, Emily!

Sorry about your rain, but it sounded like the three of you got a much needed break.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter was at the beach (Camp Seawee) that weekend, too, with her church youth group. At least you were in a hotel...they were in tents! She said after the first night, though, they moved to the dining hall to sleep since the wind was so bad.

Looks like you had a good time anyway, just like she did...

12:58 PM  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

We often find our heat kicking on into July. I remember going to swimming lessons with the kids around the 4th, sitting by the side of the pool with my brolly and Gortex. Those poor little ones,
Li

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home