Sunday, July 01, 2007

Taking a Ride in the Mystery Machine

Both husband and I are participating in the Mystery Stole 3 KAL. We ended up making needle changes yesterday, and I also changed yarn. Here's my progress so far. I've completed Chart A.



I'm using size 3 Crystal Palace circulars, Jaegarspun wool/silk yarn in white, and iridescent glass beads. I really don't think the beads are doing much for the knitting so far, but I'll continue on. Chart B uses more beads within the pattern of the stole in addition to those on the edges.

This is the first time I've knitted with beads, the first time I've knitted from a lace chart, and my first KAL. I'm finding the charts to be easy to use. The beads aren't so bad either, but I've ditched the tiny crochet hook in favor of a loop of dental floss for adding the beads. The hook was splitting my yarn. The dental floss I'm using has a stiffened end followed by a thicker portion and then regular dental floss. I am stringing on several beads which are held in place on the thicker portion of the floss, then inserting the stiff portion of the floss into the stitch where the bead needs to go. I then slide a bead down, loop the stiffened end back into the bottom of the bead (forming a loop through the stitch, and slide the bead onto the stitch. It is still a bit clumsy, but it's working better for me than the crochet hook.

Our yard never ceases to amaze me. These little guys have been frequent visitors to our bird feeder since the spring. I hope they have a little family somewhere nearby. These are a male and a female American Goldfinch.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vera said...

What a lovely shawl. It's looks like fun to make a mystery one.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Looking good! So cool that both you and hubby are knitting them. At least you changed yarn early. Later would have been so sad! Good luck! :)

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ths shawl pattern is very pretty. I love that your hubby knits, too! I have a birdfeeder just like that. Do you have sunflower seeds in yours?? I keep thistle for the goldfinches but notice they eat at the sunflower feeder, also.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Hockey Mom said...

Your stoles look wonderful. It was a lot of fun going out on a whim. Don't usually do that kind of thing.

Are y'all coming down for Dye Day at the spinning guild?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

Pretty shawl so far.

Love the bird pictures. We don't have gold finches here.

Li

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home