Tuesday, October 30, 2007

SAFF, Of Course

I have one opportunity each year to attend a fiber festival, and that's SAFF held in Fletcher, NC. The "big" festivals are just too far away and at the wrong time of the year to make it possible for me to get away. That's OK. SAFF is all I need.

I hadn't been terribly excited about going this year. After all, how much fiber and yarn and how many spinning wheels does a girl need? I know some people just can't have enough, but since I did a clean out of my yarn closet last week, I know I have enough! What can a girl never have enough of? FRIENDS, and that's the reason I wanted to go to SAFF this year. This was the chance to see old friends and meet new ones. I've got to tell you, it certainly was fun to meet so many new friends and see that you are all just as wonderful (if not more so) in person as you are on your blogs. More on that later....

We headed out on Friday afternoon and arrived in Fletcher after SAFF had closed for the day. We settled into the Bates Motel aka the EconoLodge Asheville Airport and then went in search of dinner. We decided on the Wanpen Thai restaurant on Hendersonville Rd. The food was good and so was the service. It was very relaxed and quiet, probably because we were there at almost 8 PM.

I won't bore you with complaints about the hotel. Let's just suffice it to say that we made a huge mistake in booking this location. The room was miserable--cramped, musty, moldy, just ick. When we booked the place 6 months ago, we didn't even know if we were going to be able to make it to SAFF, money was an issue, etc.

Saturday morning we awoke bright and early (actually, I don't think any of us had slept much) and headed to IHOP for breakfast. We had absolutely no wait time to be seated (arrived at 7 AM) and our food was on the table in no time. The service was excellent, and the food was delicious.

We were at SAFF before the official open time, so we staked out a spot in the spinning circle, chatted with some friends from Peachtree Guild, and then enjoyed the day by shopping, relaxing, and visiting. The highlight of the day was the Ravelry/Knit Blogger Meetup, and I'll tell you more about that tomorrow.

Here's a photo of one of the lovely and interesting ladies I met during the weekend.

3 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Interesting? I call that frightening. ;)

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't get there again this year! We were planning to come up on Sunday, but the trouble is, my son is in marching band, and SAFF always seems to fall on a weekend where he has to be dropped off at 5 am AND picked up at 3 am the next morning, which pretty much ruins my enthusiasm for life. Then too, Katie and I went to Hobby Lobby on Saturday and spent I-can't-bear-to-tell-you-how-much on beading supplies for her, which killed my SAFF money!

I was looking forward to the blogger meetup too. Oh well, next year; by then James will be able to drive himself at 5 AM!!

12:20 PM  
Blogger bev said...

hope you're doing well! :)

i'm going to try to make it to saff next year since janelle will be off at college. i will have to have something to occupy my time!

do you know anything about a spinning group that meets at the augusta museum on the 2nd sunday of each month? one of the ladies at in stitches was talking about it. i'm going to try and check it.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home