Sunday, February 06, 2005

Family Fiber Day

We're having a wonderful time here today engaging in our fiber hobbies. Husband has been busy with dye all afternoon while daughter and I have been spinning. I can't think of a much better way to spend the day!

Daughter bought some 100% wool fiber from The Little Barn when we were at SAFF this fall. Here's a picture of the roving:

and here is the yarn on the bobbin:

Isn't that pretty? Daughter is spinning this on the Kiwi. I'm very impressed with her spinning. She does such a great job with it, and she's only been spinning a little over a year.

I'm spinning a 75% romney 25% mohair blend roving that I won in an e-bay auction. The colors are a fern green, magenta, and hint of lavendar. The roving was named "Rose Garden," and it really reminds me of old timey roses. Here is the roving:

The yarn looks like this:

I'm loving it! I am spinning this with socks in mind.

I finished the Irish Hiking Scarf last night. It needs to be blocked, but the knitting and weaving in of ends is done. I had maybe a yard of yarn left over. The scarf worked up quickly; I just started it a week ago and the majority of the knitting was done in the evenings. I'll definitely be using this pattern again, maybe with some of the wool I have coming from Knitpicks.

I was at the grocery store on Friday and found the January issue of Creative Knitting. Apparently they had not gotten in new magazines yet. I enjoyed this issue very well, so perhaps I'll consider subscribing. The January issue has a number of wraps, shawls, and scarves.

2 Comments:

Blogger entrelac said...

Ooh, pretty. :) You know, it never occurred to me before to do that with my spinning. DUH! I'll HAVE to do that sometime soon....amongst the many many many other things I keep promising to do. Please, don't hold your breath.

Ana

2:06 AM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

How wonderful that your family enjoys the fiber arts. I'm hoping that at least one of my kids picks it up.

I bought some of that Rose Garden roving as well. Isn't it beautiful?! Liz has some really gorgeous rovings.

Enjoy.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home