Friday, June 23, 2006

Riding the Roller Coaster

I've decided that the work week is like a giant roller coaster ride. I really don't like riding roller coasters. Monday and Tuesday, you are clack, clack, clacking up the hill. By Wednesday, you're at the top, and about to take the plunge. AHHHHH!! You're still screaming down the hill on Thursday, but manage to catch your breath again on Friday. Saturday and Sunday bring you back to level ground, but on Monday, the whole ride starts again. Some work weeks have a lot of that screaming down hill bit. This has been one of those.

You know, I hear a lot of dumb things--at work, on e-mail lists, on discussion boards, on the news, etc. For some reason I've yet to figure out, we watch the Fox network local news at 10 PM. Maybe we are just too lazy to switch the station to another local 10 PM news. The anchors of the news are a farce. They try to be cute with their comments, but it just isn't working. Last night, it was one of the interviewees who took the cake for stupid.

Our area is currently experiencing a drought. It's typical around here this time of year. People on municipal water systems are under outdoor water use restrictions, same as they are every year. That means that people can only water their yards, wash cars, etc. on specific days of the week. Last night the news interviewed a woman who said, "I don't know why I can't use as much water as I want to as long as I pay for it." Can you believe it? What part of "drought" does she not understand? When there are drought conditions, the water supply is limited. I don't care if she has the bank account of Bill Gates, no amount of money is going to magically produce a bigger water supply. Hey, lady. Here's your sign.

Now, on to the comments:
Husband dear, good ID on the frog. I'm up for sitting up to listen to frog calls whenever you want. How about tonight?

turtlegirl, we have spoiled birds here who only eat black oil sunflowers. This may be one they dropped. It's so pretty!

Judy, the human sock knitting machine, I hope you like your needles. I ordered some DPNs, too. I think they have small size circs, but not in the set.

Lissa, I know what you mean about too worn out to blog! I've been too worn out to post pictures.

Anonymous, Glad you liked the blog!

A job offer at 13?? Amazing isn't it? Daughter has been working as a Counselor in Training (CIT) at her school's day camp this summer. The camp directors told me yesterday that they are ready to offer her a job when she turns 15. Apparently, she's doing a very good job. Little kids love her, and she likes them. How cool. It's really neat to see your kid suddenly in charge and being the caregiver. *sniff* She's growing up so fast.

Daughter has also been in volleyball camp and soccer camp at school this summer and has an algebra camp coming up. Soccer camp was co-ed, and I think Daughter really enjoyed hammering the boys, one in particular, ahem, who she doesn't like-like and he doesn't like-like her. (like-like = to have affection for). I've got a feeling the next few years are going to be really interesting....

OK...it's back to work for me. You guys have a lovely weekend. Think of me here pulling up carpet and looking for more hardwood flooring--it's there, I know for sure.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I didn't know you work at the same place I do! ;-) Only some weeks the roller coaster never goes down, just dumps you out from a great height into the weekend.

I'm sure I'll like the needles, especially if they are as sharp as they look in the pictures. That's the only thing I don't always love about Addis...the larger sizes are kind of blunt. I read a review somewhere on the net (knitters forum?) by someone who actually had recieved hers, and said they were nice and pointy without being hazardous, so that sounds promising! I did see that they have smaller circs, but not 47" or 60" cords. Yet -- I'm sure that's in the works, too.
Have a good weekend!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I succumbed to the call of the needles. I did it, just now. I really need to stay busier at work.

2:02 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I was a camp counselor at a 4-H camp when I was younger, and I did 2 years of CIT as well. It's a great feeling for a teenager, to get a taste of "being an adult" and being "in-charge" of kids younger than you. She'll love it.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Excellent analogy, except that I love roller coasters?!

You can actually blog at work. Heck, half the time I can't even view the blog photos.

The newscasters are the same on all stations. I just rotate them.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home