Friday, February 02, 2007

Saying Goodbye to a Friend

My mother in law passed away last night. She'd been diagnosed in December with advanced metastatic colorectal cancer. It just all seems so sudden and so unreal. She was the queen of the family, the rock on which everyone else leaned. She was the one who took care of everyone else, and she was worshiped by those around her.

My mom in law was nothing like the stereotypical MILs you hear about. She never judged me. She never told me how to be a wife to my husband, a mother to our child. I feel certain that we made choices with which she didn't agree, but she never once interfered. She was not like a mother to me, because a mother would not hesitate to let you know a better way to do something! :-) My MIL was a friend to me and someone I truly loved.

I don't think any of us ever expected that we'd lose her at such a young age. She was only 65. There's an empty place in our hearts now that won't ever be filled. I hope mom in law is celebrating in heaven this morning. She's going to be just fine now, and in time, we will, too. We owe her that much.

10 Comments:

Blogger Hockey Mom said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful life you have to celebrate and she'll be with you always.

What a true gift.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss and sending caring thoughts your way.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Donna.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Heaven must have needed a new angel to take her so young. Thoughts to you and your family.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom a year and a half ago at the young age of 55 to cancer, so I know how it is to lose someone you love so much, but who is also your friend. {{Hugs}} to you.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to read about your loss. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Sending sympathy, hugs and prayers your way. I am so sorry - she sounds like she was so special - what a touching tribute to her.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Sorry for your loss. You all are in my prayers. You were blessed with a wonderful MIL and friend.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for you and your family. My MIL was a mother and a best friend to me. I will be eternally grateful for the time I had with her. She died two years ago at 62.

Hugs to you all.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home