Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A Different Kind of Fiber

Years ago, I used to bake sour dough bread. It was delicious. Unfortunately, life interefered, free time was non-existant, and my bread starter died. I also managed to lose the recipe somewhere along the line. At some point in the not too distant past (read, a couple of years ago), I found a recipe that sounded very similar to the old bread recipe. I stashed the recipe away and finally made the time a week or so ago to pull it out and get the starter going. That thing took off like gangbusters and it smelled so good--sweet and alcoholic at the same time.

I mixed up the dough last night and left it to rise. It did really well, part of the dough managing to escape the confines of the bowl! I have three loaves set to rise right now, and if all goes well, we will enjoy freshly baked bread with dinner tonight.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only bread I can successfully make is brioche. I wish I was a better bread baker... you'd think being a baker's apprentice for nearly a year would have taught me something!!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

How strange, I made my own sourdough from my own starter last week!

I love fresh bread. Yummy.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Rats! I'm a day late to come over and crash your dinner and have some of that yummy bread!! I used to make my own, too. I think way back when I was still in my 20's. We won't talk about how many years ago that is...

11:08 AM  
Blogger bev said...

oooh i love fresh baked bread...especially sour dough. a few years back i was given friendship bread starter and was obsessive with baking bread. i think everyone i worked with got a loaf of bread from me as well as starter. finally i was forbidden to continue with the starter...lol. mom intervened and poured it down the drain. i might have to pull that recipe out again.

hope you're having a good week!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Mmmm! Nothing beats the smell of homemade bread baking.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home