Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Wild Kingdom Right Here in My Back Yard

We live in a nature preserve. There is such an abundance of wild life all around us! I guess one could argue we had wild life around us in our old neighborhood, but it was more of the teenage fast cars loud stereos variety! The wild life here is more relaxing and pleasant!

One evening last week, I watched a little brown rabbit scamper around the blue berry bushes enjoying herself. She was there for at least 45 minutes. I noticed a brown form over to the side of the yard near the woods and thought it was our neighbor dog, Oakley, a Marmaduke looking sort of dog. A closer look told me that the creature in question was our resident deer! She was quietly munching the plants around her until husband and daughter drove in from their pottery class.

We also have a lot of different kinds of birds. There are a couple of blue bird pairs, wrens, blue jays, cardinals, woodpeckers, hawks, and more humming birds than you can count! We have feeders up for the hummers, but when I pulled out the camera today, they all became shy!

This little guy and his buddies live out front. I spotted him this morning scampering around the front walk. Isn't he a cutie? I think he is an Eastern Fence Lizard.


Wild life isn't all the relaxes us around here. Daughter's favorite spot this summer has been tucked away in a comfy chair in the living room enjoying a book from her summer reading list. Here she is with Socks.


Mocha loves the windows in the living room because they give him lots of sun.


I've not been able to get into a knitting groove for a while now. Here is an Irish Hiking Scarf that I'm doing in Knitpicks Wool of the Andes. I think the color is called Mulled Wine.


I've also been on a dish rag kick lately just so that I can have something knitterly in my hands! I love this pattern.


MIL and FIL came on Saturday and we had a lovely time! They liked the house and yard a lot. In fact, FIL loved it so much that he got out and planted a few tomato bushes for me!

1 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

It's nice to get back to nature. I grew up in the country, and I miss it.

Amy

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home